The 13 factories (十三行 – Shi san hang)
The 13 factories have an interesting history. It was the first area in China to allow foreign trade in the 18th century since the “hai jin” ban on maritime activities. It was named “the 13 factories” after the 13 international factories that once stood here, each belonging to one large trading nation of that time.
Today, shi san hang is a huge clothes market with customers from every corner of the world. Like most wholesale markets in China, its busy, loud and crowded with an estimate of over one thousand tons of clothes being bought and sold by over 100 000 unique customers every day.
- Products: Mainly womens fashion.
- Price and quality: The first three floors mostly sell low to medium grade items, the higher floors are all high grade items.
- Items in stock: Most shops have items in stock.
- Minimum order quantity (in stock): Roughly 3-5 items per style and color.
- Minimum order quantity (production): 30-80 per style and color.
- Locale: The first 3 floors are very crowded and a bit dirty, but the rest of the building is clean and spacious.
- Size: 20 floors with a business area of over 50 000 square meters and more than 1000 shops and stalls.
- Business hours: 07:00 – 13:00
- Location: Liwan area, shisanhang road no. 1 (荔湾区十三行路1号)
Right next to the Guangzhou cultural park metro station.